The Characteristics of Bituminous Coal

Although it is safe to say that bituminous coal is the most popular option for residential use, it is important to recognise the different options that are available on the market. After all, lignite can be used to create fertilizer products whereas anthracite is the perfect smokeless fuel alternative. With this said, the team here at Pearson Fuels know everything there is to know about house coals which is why we have decided to go over some its characteristics. Read on to find out more…

What is the carbon value of bituminous coal?

The average piece of bituminous coal has a carbon content between 60-80% which is what gives it its impressive burning qualities. After all, this variety of fuel is incredibly easy to burn. The other 20% of the chemical make-up of bituminous coal is comprised of water, air, hydrogen and sulphur which makes it one of the most effective fuels on the market to burn in the household.

Is bituminous coal heat efficient?

Known colloquially as house coal, bituminous coal is the most popular fuel used inside residential homes in order to heat a property. In fact, it was also used for cooking purposes in the early 20th century which means that its use inside the home has a rich history that can be traced back rather deeply. This is because bituminous coal is known for its ability to be lit with ease, creating a hot, reliable and efficient fire as a result.

What does bituminous coal look like?

Since bituminous coal is the second oldest form of coal that can be obtained from the earth, it is a surprisingly soft material that has a dull yet tar-like appearance. This means that it is easily distinguishable from other coal types because younger forms like lignite have a brown colour and older forms like anthracite are often very dark black and have a noticeably shiny appearance.

Here at Pearson Fuels, we have a wide range of options when it comes to the combustion of coal products in the home, however, bituminous coal is our best-selling fuel for beginners due to its ease of use and high-quality fire output. In fact, it is also one of the most cost-effective coals too which means that homeowners often find that they save money. To find out more information, get in contact with the best coal merchants around and speak to a member of the Pearson Fuels team today!

Related Posts:

Busting Some Common Fireplace Myths

In the lead-up to Christmas, it’s extremely likely that a...

Top Uses For Coal

What can we use coal for? Coal is called a...

Why You Should Use Smokeless Coal

With October nearly at an end, this means that we’re...